pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Relocating Cache Directory

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Relocating Cache Directory
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 13:57:10 -0700

On Sat 14 Dec 2002 14:44, Martin Gallant posted as excerpted below:
> Running pan-0.13.2.92
> Nice piece of software - Good job folks!
>
> I have outgrown my home directory with the default settings.
> What is the accepted method for moving "the cache" to another partition?
>
> I can't figure it out by just playing with ~/.gnome/Pan and ~/.pan
> Can someone point me to a recipe?  Thanks in advance!

I just set a symlink.  That works, here.  [I LOVE Linux!  You have NO IDEA how
many times I wished "shortcuts" in MSWormOS weren't so limited!  In *ix, they
AREN'T!]

There should be a way to change PAN's settings as well, but it's easier to
just try a symlink, which seems to work in well over 90% of generic cases,
although there's a few cases involving dynamic renaming of the target in
question by the app in question where it doesn't.  However, it works often
enough that it's often easier than beating the bushes of documentation
looking for the proper incantation to do it in the config file or whatever,
especially when the app in question doesn't HAVE a lot of documentation, as
is the case with PAN (not that it usually needs it, but... <g>).

Back to the news cache...  Here, I created a dedicated 8 gig partition for
that.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin