pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] More on 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] More on 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:57:41 -0600

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 07:11:09PM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 07:43:17PM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> >  o In the task manager you can no longer select multiple consecutive
> > entries by dragging the mouse across them.
>
> That would be nice to have back.
> File a bugzilla report and I'll look into this.

this item has bugged me since the conversion to gtk2. I've been too lazy to
complain tho. :)

> >  o In some situations Pan does not properly put an X beside an article
> > that gave "bad article number" when you tried to save it, so when you
> > next visit the newsgroup you cannot tell that you tried to download it
> > and failed.  I _think_ this only happens if you move on to another
> > newsgroup before the error occurs.  (I think the icon that indicates
> > that a file has been saved to disk is misbehaving in the same way.)
>
> This is a side-effect of a design decision to not keep loaded the
> articles in groups of all queued tasks -- that was an _enormous_ memory
> hog in <= 0.12.x.  I don't want to go back to that, so a different fix
> needs to be found.  Most likely it will involve replacing Pan's current
> file format with a relational database so that we can tweak article
> flags without having to load everything in the group.[1]

I think this is an issue that ought to be resolved before the next 'stable'
release. it's a Bad Thing when a program doesn't give you good feedback on
what it did; worse when that functionality goes away.

thanks for your consideration of this 'mee too' post. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises