pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Compile errors on 0.13.2

From: John LeMay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Compile errors on 0.13.2
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:45:48 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Duncan wrote:

> Note that that you can't even USE it without agreeing to the license, and
> further, that you are limited to using it on a SINGLE computer.   Further,
> notice the distribution restrictions.   I didn't move out of restriction-land
> only to adopt the same restrictions in my new home.

That's fine with me. I only use one computer at a time, and only one ever
runs X in any form anyhow. They don't say you can't install it on multiple
machines, but that you can only use it on one. Therefore if I install it
on two machines but never use both machines at the same time one could
argue that I haven't broken the license agreement.

Realistically I agree they could be a bit more free with their license.
Metro-X had a less limited license for their X product which was nice
(circa '98 or so), but they couldn't make it pay for itself and the
company now focuses on set top boxes instead of X and other related
products (I think they had their own CDE-like distro and a few other
products that elude me at the moment). I suppose one could infer several
things from that - their product may not have been up to par, there wasn't
enough demand for their products, marketing failure, etc. I'm choosing to
gamble on Xig's ability to continue to produce a quality product in the
future by purchasing their product.

Personally, I use whatever software I like whether it's "free" or not. If
I like it, I then look at the price tag and figure out if it's worth it to
me. I leave the fight for "truely free" software to RMS, the GNU/Hurd
team, and others who choose to share in that war. I support all software I
use though - either through monetary means, evangelism, or assisting with
development and testing efforts.

--
John LeMay
Senior Enterprise Consultant