pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan setting the Message-ID?

From: Gollum
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan setting the Message-ID?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:13:21 +0100

DevilKin wrote:
> Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt wrote:
> > Do I have to regress to 0.13.0 in order to get rid of the Pan
> > Msg-ID?
>
> If I recall correctly Charles removed it from Pan 0.13.1 because noone
> seemed to use it...

Then I have this appeal to the Pan developers:
Please stop removing features!

Some other examples of features that have been removed which I'd like to
have back:
- Mark thread read
- Flush cache

BTW, how do you find out that nobody is using a feature?

Pan is rather advanced for a Linux GUI newsreader, considering e.g. its
custom filters, off-line capability, spell-checking and decoding of
multipart binaries.  I think it would be more consistent if Pan tried to
have more features, especially features that are available in other
newsreaders, instead of removing them.  (Except skins and other useless
eyecandy, and reading email, which is irrelevant for usenet...)

I do appreciate the effort Charles and the rest of the team has put into
Pan, and I'd like to see Pan evolve into a newsreader that matches or
beats Xnews, Gravity and Agent in _every_ aspect.  Then Pan should also
match their less frequently used features.