pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] disabling spell-checking at run-time?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] disabling spell-checking at run-time?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:42:27 -0700

On Monday 28 October 2002 15:17, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > Actually spell-checking causes so many problems I'd be just
> > as happy tearing the whole thing out until gtkspell catches
> > up with the newer branches of aspell.  <shrug>
>
> I'll certainly go along with this. then again, I'm a fairly good speller,
> so I don't use the spellchecker. ;) YMMV.

I'm not a real good, or a real bad speller.  My problem is that I like to use
big words that I can say but can't spell.  <g>  Thus, I appreciate the
availability of the spell checking versions, although I've temporarily gone
with -nospell when I needed to get it working, and didn't have time for the
hoop jumping.

I'd only suggest changing the nospell version to the default.  Make them the
"plain" packages, and add -spellchk to the spell enabled packages, so people
have to seek out the "power user" package, with spell checking enabled, and
get the package with fewer problems, if they just download the standard
package. Users still willing to attempt the hoop jumping could get spell
enabled versions if desired, while others would be more likely to get
something that worked right on their system, without all thatf hoop-jumping.

Of course, such a policy change would need to be noted somewhere, say, the
changelogs on the front page, as well as on the downloads page, to avoid
confusion.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin