pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.13.0.92 "What's the saga?"

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.13.0.92 "What's the saga?"
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:06:35 -0700

On Monday 07 October 2002 15:03, John LeMay wrote:
> [] I'm wondering if I'm on Charles' "bad list" what with all the
> spell check problems I had with 0.13.0.91 and Mandrake over here!
> Anyhow, I'll get packages over tomorrow if not sooner. []

FWIW, on Mdk 9/Cooker, I loaded the RH 7.3 i686 "nospell" RPM just fine.  The
spelling version would crash on attempt to reply to anything.  I had it
working at one point, with IIRC a 0.12.0.9x series beta, but then loaded the
0.13.0 Mdk-Cooker RPM, direct off RPMFind (using URPMI --auto-select to
update everything), w/o spelling enabled, and haven't had spelling working
since.

This is exactly what happened b4, when I was attempting to enable spelling the
first time, and I had to urpme PAN, uninstall everything, then reinstall the
various GTK+2 and spelling modules in the correct order b4 RPM -i -ing the
then current PAN beta, to get spelling (and replying w/o crashing) to work.
(At the time, GTK+2 was new enough there weren't Mdk versions of it even in
cooker, and I had to scrounge around and use i386 RH RPMs and tarballs for
several items, making stuff **LOTS** of fun!  <wry grin>)  I haven't bothered
to figure out just what I'd have to do this time and in what order to get it
working again, rather, simply loading the nospell version, although I was
rather looking forward to the spell version again.

I guess I learned one thing... If I am keeping up w/ a package enough to load
off-cooker direct versions frequently, upgrading via cooker for one version
isn't such a good idea, as it can foul up the direct versions, when I next
try to upgrade again, and may not have all the features I am used to.

I too agree with their decision not to do spell checking in the cooker
version.  Support for it gets a bit to complicated, at this point, as LeMay's
experience and mine demonstrate.  I'd do them no favors to add it, certainly
with the Linux newB community Mdk is quite popular with.  (And the reason I
chose Mdk, as I have been on Linux less than a year.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin