pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and IMAP

From: Gollum
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and IMAP
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 05:13:21 +0200

Mark Derricutt wrote:

> What would it take to get pan to handle IMAP accounts?
> [...]
> Would it be hard?  Would it be viable?  Would it be useful?

Pan is a newsreader, not an email client.  It can _reply_ by
email, which can be useful for notifying the poster if you
reply after several days, or for personal replies that are
off-topic in the newsgroup.

Reading email (POP or IMAP) is not relevant for usenet.
If Pan were a combined newsreader and email client, and the email
capabilities weren't at least as good as those of the competitors,
most people would use another email client, which means that Pan's
email capabilities are wasted and stealing memory.

Some email clients don't have IMAP, only POP for retrieval.
Others, under development, often have bugs in their IMAP handling.
I therefore don't believe IMAP is simple.

The resources are much better used used fixing existing bugs and
making Pan an even more powerful newsreader.

See also Pan's author's previous reply to a similar request:
http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/pan-users/2002-August/001837.html