pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Quotation ratio

From: Esa Riihonen
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Quotation ratio
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:20:58 +0300

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 16:22, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 08:05:56PM +0300, Esa Riihonen wrote:
> > Hi, help needed!
> >
> > I'm currently using pan 0.11.2 on Linux RH-7.1
> >
> > Problem is that it seems not to be possible to send follow-ups if the
> > amount of new text is smaller than the amount of quoted text. A good
> > thing in principle, but much too restrictive in practise.
> >
> > I have not been able to find how to adjust the limit or circumvent the
> > problem. Would a newer version of pan help? Or is this perhaps due to
> > some settings in some other parts of the (linux) system?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
> The quotation check just warns "are you sure you want to post this?"
> rather than refusing to let you post.  You should be able to post the
> message anyway.
>
> If I'm wrong, let me know. ;)

[snip]

Well, I have seen such a warning, but in that case it warned for
multigroup reply when follow up was not restricted.

In case of quotation warning I'm pretty sure I have not seen this - it
gives just the 'posting failed'-window immediately.

I made a new test just now and I have new info, it is curious I had not
noticed this earlier (I have meanwhile updated to 0.11.3, perhaps that
matters). It seems that follow ups are OK at the first level, even if
the number of reply lines is less than number of quoted ones. A further
follow up doesn't work, that is, when there are two levels of
quotations. Note that in the first case there is no warning whatsoever
the article just get posted immediately. In the second level case there
is also no warning just the fail message.

I started pan from console window where I got these messages (from the
second-level follow up trial):

---

** WARNING **: Posting failed: 441 Article not posted -- more included
text than new text

** WARNING **: NNTP Article "Re: testiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" (1 of 1)
not posted.

pan-WARNING **: Usenet posting failed.
Your message was saved in the folder ``pan.sendlater''

---

Cheers,

Esa

--

Esa Riihonen
Vaisala Institute of Space Physics and Astronomy