pan-users

[Pan-users] ungrateful complaints or helpful comments

From: Johan Ovlinger
Subject: [Pan-users] ungrateful complaints or helpful comments
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:12:54 -0400

hopefully the latter.

I just upgraded to 0.12.94 from 0.11.3, and after a few days playing
with it, decided to downgrade again.  I thought you might be
interested in why (mainly to allow you to prioritize development for
the upcomming round of distrubution releases).

1) Flagging broke sometime in that period: sorting and unflagging. I
   used to read large groups, flag interesting things, and then go
   back, as my time and bandwith allowed, and select flagged items to
   dl.  This depends on being able to sort on flagged status, which
   has gone away.  The inability to unflag is likely just a bug.

2) On-the-fly Filters became significantly harder to use. I assume
   they're still there, but I couldn't find 'em.

3) The groups would change on me. If I started a large group header
   dl, and then selected another group to peruse, all of a sudden that
   new group would be deselected and the now completed previous group
   would replace it.  More than a little jarring.  I'm not entirely
   sure when this happens: I think there may be other scenarios as
   well.

4) Neither of these is anywhere near as important as stability. 0.12.94
   did have a few instabilities when I got impatient and started
   clicking and dragging while it was sorting or filtering a group.
   Also I've learned to stay away from the tasklist, as being to
   "clicky" there will crash it.

1-3 have been bugzillad, while I wasn't able to construct a repeatable
scenario for 4, nor capture a coredump for you.

All in all, I realise that 0.12.x _will_ be better than 0.11, but
currently, 0.11 is significantly more usable (for my usage patterns -
ymmv). There was one version of it (can't recall whether it was
0.11.9x or 0.11.3) that was extremely stable as well. Since stability
is king, perhaps that sweetspot should be the one shipped with the
big-name linux distos, rather than the in-production 0.12.x

Hope this has other than gripe value for you.

Johan