pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] running pan with a changed $HOME env variable

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] running pan with a changed $HOME env variable
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:24:17 +0200

Søren Boll Overgaard [13/08/02 23:56 +0200]:
> address@hidden ~]$ export HOME=/home/boll/tmp                          [23:37]
> address@hidden /home/boll]$ pan                                        [23:38]
> Xlib: No protocol specified
> (pan:581): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
> address@hidden /home/boll]$
>
> As you will notice pan starts just fine, before $HOME is changed, but
> afterwards it refuses to start. I am running pan 0.12.1.
>
> Should I consider this a bug or a feature?

Neither: this is just how X works. You'd run into this problem for any
X-based application, not just Pan.

Do 'man X' and look at the section on access control.  If you really want to
do this, I think you can do something like the following (but you're bound
to run into other issues):

        $ export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
        $ export HOME=/home/boll/tmp
        $ pan