pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan, gtkspell, and specifying your language

From: shipahoy
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan, gtkspell, and specifying your language
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:25:33 +0000

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 22:24:06 -0700
Evan Martin <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've had a few requests for supporting alternate languages (such as this
>
> one:
> http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/pan-users/2002-July/001284.html
>
>   ) and I was wondering how foreign-language users actually specify
> their language.

> Do you normally set an environment variable?  Which one (LANG, LC_ALL)?
> If that variable is set to a language other than English, would it make
>   sense for GtkSpell to default to a language other than English, or do
> we need the applications (Pan, LogJam) to allow you to specify the
> language you're writing in?

Ideally, the most useful solution is to be able specify the language from
within each application.

> (I can imagine wanting to write different messages in different
> languages... but for now, what should GtkSpell default to: English?
> Your locale-provided language?)

For now, the locale. Anything but en_US.

Many users have multiple locales and use many different languages. It is
neither helpful nor thoughtful when applications default to US values such
as US Letter instead of international standards such as A4; US
measurements instead of international standard metrics; en_US instead of
the language the user actually needs such as en_GB, en_NZ, en_AU, German,
Dutch, and so on.