pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Decode-Save - Where'd it go?

From: Rassilon
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Decode-Save - Where'd it go?
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 21:38:50 -0400

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 21:14, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Ok, I surfed http://pan.rebelbase.com/download and downloaded John
> LeMay's pan 0.12.0 for Mandrake 8.2...
>
> ...but now I have a real newbie Linux question for you (been coding
> on UNIX for years, but just installed Mandrake a month ago)
>
> I did a "rpm -i pan-0.12.0-1.i686.rpm", and got this:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>         glib2 >= 2.0.4 is needed by pan-0.12.0-1
>         gtk2 >= 2.0.5 is needed by pan-0.12.0-1
[...etc...]

> Mandrake 8.2 doesn't ship with gnome2 packages and the rest.

        This is not surprising, since Gnome 2.0 was only officially released
within the last week or two.  :)  Gtk+ 2, however, has been out for a
little while.

> Two questions:
>
>       1) Will gnome2* and gnome1* pkgs coexist on the same system?

        Yes.  Just like Gtk+ 2 will co-exist with 1.x, it was designed that
way.  I don't even think "rpm -Uv" will replace it, since Mandrake
chose to name the package "gtk+2.whatever"; RPM thinks they are two
totally different things.

        Actually, *Gnome* 2 is not required for Pan 0.12 -- AFAIK it has zero
Gnome dependencies at the moment.

>       2) Do I need to go digging around on rpmfind, or is there a
> faster way to find/install all of the dependencies (preferrably an
> "auto-grab/auto-install" command).
>
> For those familiar with the FreeBSD package system, I'm looking for
> the equivalent of:
>
>       - grab the top-level source port, and
>       - invoke "make install"
>       (dependencies are automagic)

        I'm running Mandrake 8.1 here, but have done lots of upgrades to
various pieces.  You could try MandrakeUpdate, (Configuration ->
Packaging, from my KDE menus anyway, also available from command line),
which is basically a graphical front-end to urpmi.  I've never been
able to get urpmi to work from command-line, but it's supposed to be
similar to "apt-get" and other such things, in that it searches a
database for your package, detects what it needs to successfully
install that package, and optionally downloads everything.  I don't
know if Pan 0.12 is in Cooker yet, but if it is, you could add a Cooker
source to your MU setup, select to upgrade Pan, and it should do the
rest.  (I don't know, because I've been building it from source in
order to have debugging symbols -- I can't figure out why, but RPM
strips the binary even if I build it myself.)

        Be cautious about upgrading things from Cooker, however, as it's the
"proving ground" for the next Mandrake release; things on there may
have odd problems, broken packages, etc.  Generally it's ok, but
sometimes you run into one package that requires 25 others... in that
case I usually grab the source RPM instead and build it myself if those
other things aren't absolutely necessary.

        Further discussion of Mandrake oddities should probably be taken
off-list if it doesn't relate to Pan directly.  :)  I will say that I
*did* have to upgrade a ton of stuff to get Gtk+2 in place, but that's
mainly because I had no reason to upgrade it until Pan 0.12 came out!

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//