pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar

From: Himanshu J. Gohel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feedback wanted: Pan 0.12.90 toolbar
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:49:07 -0700

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 23:13, Charles Kerr wrote:
> I've put up a screenshot of the first draft of the default Pan
> toolbar for 0.13.0 to get pan-users feedback.  (This is what I
> needed gimp help with earlier in the week.)  Do the icons make
> sense?  Are they legible?

Hi Charles, all:

I tried to decipher the toolbar without reading the descriptions, to see if
there were intuitive.  This is what I could figure out:

Concepts:

Lightning bolt - I figured "live connection" == GET.  OK.
Magnifying glass - zoom or search, but did not think "READ"
Filter - very clear

> Are there any *really* important buttons that I've missed?
> Should the "Get:", "Read:", etc. labels be dropped?

If the icons are really clear, the labels should be completely unnecessary
(or atleast optional).

> Get New in Subscribed Groups
> Get New in Selected Groups
> Get Selected Articles
> Get Flagged Articles

The BOOK and ENVELOPE icons apprerently represent Subscribed and Selected
groups, which is not clear, and inconsistent (ENVELOPE in general seems to
represent a message/article in the other icons).  Selected articles
represented by the pionter may be OK, but I would not understand that
without your description.  The FLAG is OK.

> Read More (aka Space Reading)
> Read Next New
> Read Next Thread
> Read Next Group

Ignoring the magnifying glass, New is OK.  In the Thread icon, the second
envelope should be much more overlapping.  I suggest that a group be
represented by a bundle/stack of envelopes, perhaps tied with a string or
something.  A mailbag perhaps?

> Current Filter Dialog
> [togglebutton] Show Only New
> [togglebutton] Show Only Mine
> [togglebutton] Show Only Cached
> [togglebutton] Show Only Binaries
> [togglebutton] Show Only Watched

Good.  I'd suggest making the "Mine" and "Watched" foreground icons as large
as the new/cached/binaries size, since they are very clear.

> Post Follow-Up

Open-envelope represents "read message," not "follow-up" as much. Maybe a
"reply" concept applies to follow-up?

> Go Online/Offline
> Stop Last Task

On/Offline - perhaps a check-mark and cross-mark to actually indicate the
current state would be informative.

Keep in mind that I don't actually use 0.12 yet, so these opinions are from
a conceptual point of view.  However, I hope this helps.

Himanshu Gohel, address@hidden