pan-users

RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red

From: address@hidden
Subject: RE: Re: [Pan-users] All the sudden, my Pan v0.12 broke on both of my Red Hat Linux 7.x boxes!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:51:52 -0400

> So, does anyone know what's up with this? I guess Christophe is
> currently busy to answer my post. :(

Christophe does have a life of his own.

> address@hidden download]$ pan
> pan: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol:
> XRenderCompositeText8

So, Xft is missing a dependency.  Check which ones:

   $ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libXft.so.2
   (should return Xft which I believe you got from RawHide ?)
   $ rpm -q --requires Xft

This shows you all the dependencies of the Xft package.  Check if they're all
satisfied (start with the packages, which are at the top, and have the form
'package' >= 'version').  There's probably an older version of a package on
your system. By the looks of it, one of the XFree ones (could be wrong, though).

At this point I'd like to say that RawHide is looking like it's in flux. There
seems to be limited binary compatibility with the 7.x series.  My guess is
they've started working on 8.0.

So, an alternative to upgrading all your packages to RawHide levels, would be
to use Ximian: get all the gtk2 packages from Ximian and start over.

Even better: upgrade your RH7.1 box to RH7.2 or 7.3. Since you're already using
RedCarpet, you can them get the gnome2 snapshot packages (or rather, just the
gtk2 packages) and let RedCarpet handle all the dependencies for you.

Regards,
Christophe

http://mail2web.com/ .