pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] newbie

From: John LeMay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] newbie
Date: 18 May 2002 10:37:15 -0400

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 08:20, sam ende wrote:

> i am also running evolution, which i think is very very slow; that,
> apparently is due to my not having a lot of memory (64k)which wasn't a
> problem under windows but is under linux as it uses gnome libaries, so,

Yeah, 64M is great for Linux until you start up X (the basic graphical
portion) and Gnome (the desktop environment). Actually, X without Gnome
would probably be fine. If you are curious and you installed all of the
optional window managers try creating a file in your home directory
called ".xinitrc" with one line:

twm &

That *should* start twm, a very small and basic window manager. You
should be able to get an idea of how much Gnome actually requires once
you get a feel for how quick twm is on your machine. Your video card may
or may not have a noticeable effect on the overall system speed.

I also have a bunch of older memory - DIMM and SIMM. If you are
interested, I'll send you a bunch if you cover shipping from New Jersey.
Contact me off list if you are interested.