pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] newbie

From: gaw zay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] newbie
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 09:05:21 -0400 (EDT)

On 18 May 2002, sam ende wrote:

> i've used windoze (from 3.1 up to ME) and OE for several years and have
> no programming experience whatsoever (html doesn't really count does it
> ?).

html isn't a programming language. so no.

> i got bored with windoze, but i do like OE better than any of the
> other readers i have over the years tried.
> one drawback, i think, is that there is no combined news-mailer for a
> linux platform, or ?

Pine. Netscape. Mozilla. Probably more. I don't think that's a good combination
anyway, that's like saying I wish I had a text editor built into quake, they are
unrelated ... You can forward articles from Pan via email, that's all I want
myself.

OE is garbage.</rant>

> i am also running evolution, which i think is very very slow; that,
> apparently is due to my not having a lot of memory (64k)which wasn't a

64k? is your screen blue and say "38511 bytes free" on it? (Commodore 64 joke)

anyway I assume 64M , RAM is very cheap now, can your motherboard take more?
If you can't afford anything right now I understand ... I have a bunch of 72 pin
SIMMS laying around here although they are low M #s if you want them for postage
What speed is your CPU? the gtk2 version of Pan takes more resources ...

> problem under windows but is under linux as it uses gnome libaries, so,
> what i'd basically like to do is use programs which have the same
> library to make it go faster sort of thing, but which ones ?

I don't think you understand one part of libraries, stuff can be built with
different sets of libraries if the creator allows such a thing (like for
example if Charles made pan with selectable gtk or qt or motif frontends)
You can't just recompile a gnome/gtk program as somethine else less hoggy. :-(

> out, but, some things still escape me, such as, is there a place where
> all the replies you've sent are stored, and if so where ? in OE it would

in your group pane the selection display type move it from All/Subscribed/ to
'folders' -> pan.sent

> does it have the possibilty of four connections ? i can't see the point
> seeing as i've only got one phone line, so obviously i'm just not
> getting something, but what ?

I have DSL and getting multiple things at once is "guaranteed" to max out my
bandwidth whereas "sometimes" 1-2 doesn't. Lower it to less than 4 if you wish.

brian
---
All progress is the work of fanatics
All fanatics are the work of progress
  8:00am  up 38 days,  9:54,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00