pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New features

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New features
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:01:56 -0700

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:23:41PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
>>>    ctrl-b  (selects subscribed groups)
>>>    ctrl-a  (downloads new headers for selected groups)
>>>
>>> The keystrokes are (intentionally) similar, and IMO not tedious.

>> Yes, but often ctrl-a means "mark All". I should prefere a tool button for
>> this as this is a very important task.

> I have to concur here.  I've been VERY annoyed at control-A in pan being
> a break from what is essentially a standard...  (on that note, is there
> even a "select all" command in Pan?  If not, it would be nice to have one
> in the threads pane so I could do selectall-delete - since I'd rather
> delete than mark-as-read on most things)

Yes, ctrl-a is used for `select all' in the Gnome usability guidelines, too.
I can see I'll have to tweak the accelerators some more to get them in line
with Gnome's suggestions.

However, I'm not sure what `select all' would actually do if such a button
would implemented in Pan.  Having `select all groups', `select all articles',
`add subscribed to selection', `add subthreads to selection', etc. as in
Pan 0.11.92 is more useful...  Since threads are probably the most frequently
selected items, the 'a' keys should probably be assigned to those selections.

I'll tweak around on this later and post a revision here.