pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Wishlist

From: gaw zay
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Wishlist
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:31:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Toby Inkster wrote:

> Here are a few ideas I'd like to see implemented in Pan. They're mostly quite
> simple. I'd implement them myself if I had better knowledge of string
> manipulation in C.
>
> PIPES
> -----
>
> It would be nice if there was a user-definable pipes menu. For example, I
> could define an entry "rot 13" by `tr "[a-z]" "[n-za-m]"` and "gpg sign" by
> `gpg --clearsign`.

already have rot13 built-in. But I see the usefulness of this kinda feature.
Although! You can use vi or whatever as you editor and do stuff like that
anyway.

> Then, when I was composing a message, I could highlight some text and select
> "rot 13" from the "pipes" menu and some magic would happen. :-)

not as easily as this though.

> USER-AGENT STRING
> -----------------
> Pan currently adds the following header to all my posts:
> Now... "Unix"??? I though Linux wasn't strictly Unix. It would be nice if (at
> either compile time or run time) Pan could detect your OS properly
> (preferably including kernel version) and put it in this string.

Unix is safer, don't need to advertise your exact kernel to people. try
grep -r Unix * in the pan source for a quick fix if you want to do this btw :-)

> DYNAMIC SIGNATURES
> ------------------
>
> Pan should check the first two characters of your signature file. If they're
> "#!" (as in "#!/usr/bin/perl" or "#!/bin/sh"), the signature should be
> treated as an executable and should be run instead of read -- the output of
> the execution forming the signature.

I think someone brought this up before, good idea.

> NON-BINARY VERSION
> ------------------
> I only read text newsgroups, so it would be nice if at compile time I could
> do "./configure --disable-binaries" and Pan would be compiled without all the
> binary newsgroup features I don't need -- like UU/yEnc encoding and decoding.

not a bad idea. of course then there will be that day you want to grab a
binary and will have to recompile ;-)

brian
---
All progress is the work of fanatics
All fanatics are the work of progress
 12:00pm  up 9 days, 13:54,  6 users,  load average: 1.10, 1.13, 1.12