pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Why Pan redownload on save ?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Why Pan redownload on save ?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:50:49 -0700

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:23:50AM +0300, Roi Dayan wrote:

> When I click on a binary file I see its downloading it and then i see first
> line of begin ...something..  and the encoded text (or sometimes it just
> says attachment) but when I shift+s to save it unencoded to ~/News/Pan it
> re downloads the file.
>
> why it does not use the cache ? or why it re download if i didn't event
> chose to read other article just after i click this binary and it d/l it i
> shift+s and it redownload it before saving.

Pan shouldn't do that under normal circumstances -- it tries to delete
the oldest or longest-since-read-by-user Articles first when the cache
gets full, so the current article should still have been cached.

   * What version of Pan are you using?
   * Can make Pan repeat this behavior?
   * How large is your disk cache set to?
   * If so, can you look at ~/.pan/data/cache and make sure the article
     is there?
   * If not, is your cache full?  Did you have anything else going on,
     such as a big queued decode, that might've temporarily filled it?