pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Statistical word analysis?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Statistical word analysis?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:35:49 -0700

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 02:16:02AM +1200, mdew wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 00:39, Jason Wojciechowski wrote:
>
>> Or at the very least a job for a tool that specifically does analysis of
>> these things.  Dropping something like this in Pan for the ~10 people
>> who might ever use it seems a waste of the developers time and efforts.
>
> The idea has its merits... Yes it would be handy feature, more of an
> extendable search, nothing too big.
>
>> Remember UNIX - specific tool for a specific job.
>
> Thats old-school Unix thinking, we "evolving" now...

Regarding the word analysis question: one would have to download all
the article bodies for all the groups being looked at before Pan could
do an analysis.  While this isn't a bad idea, it scores poorly anyway
because it would be a lot of work for something that not many users
will use.

Regarding one-tool-for-one-job: "Evolution" is a good example of the
GUI-level extension of this.  Evolution is a number of separate tools
that interoperate well, rather than a single monolithic app (like Pan ;)

If someone wants to contribute a word-count plugin to Pan, I'll put it
up on the home page.  I've been thinking of doing something like this
for libesmtp and gpg support too.

Though that's for _after_ 0.11.3 and 0.12.0. ;)

cheers,
Charles