pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] am I dumb or didn't pan use to not need gnome-lib

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] am I dumb or didn't pan use to not need gnome-lib
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 18:36:18 -0700

You're not alone, Eric - and it's not "Cranky Young Man Syndrome" or
"Cranky Old Curmudgeon Syndrome", but a question of efficient design of
the software in question (not saying that pan is poorly designed, far
from it) and not saying "well, just throw more memory/disk/processor at
the problem".  That's a Micro$*ft attitude towards resolving the issue -
you solve the symptom of running out of disk space/memory/processing
power without addressing the underlying issue of the design issue.

Moore's law says that computing power doubles every year.  Henderson's
correlary is that while computing power doubles every year, performance
is halved - mostly due to poor coding practices and bloat.

:-)

Jim