pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Maemo's still on 0.14.90? (Was: maemo port)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Maemo's still on 0.14.90? (Was: maemo port)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 05:58:53 +0000 (UTC)

Charles Kerr <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 25 Jan 2007
07:36:04 -0600:

> Anuj Verma (Kevin) wrote:
>
>> Got my N800/Maemo device this Tuesday, surprise there is a Pan port :-)
>
> That was news to me, so I went looking for it (and uploaded Pan's
> download page accordingly).  Any idea on who the contact is for this?
> I'm curious why they're still using 0.14.90 instead of the rewrite. :)

Maybe because there's no "stable" version of the rewrite, yet?  See my
discussion on the thread on the user list for more, but one could
understand at least some hesitancy to use a rewrite without even one
stable version under its belt yet, even if in practice it's more stable
than official stable, which is old and decrepit and not under development
any longer.

Maybe we just need to pick a version, and if it doesn't have anything big
reported, call it 1.0, or .200 or .500 or some such, stable, and go from
there.

BTW, remember back in July when I was still saying we hoped to have 1.0 by
the end of the year, and you said you didn't know what might take so long.
<poke, poke> =8^)

Yeah, I know it's gotta be more frustrating for you than me, but maybe...
if it's not happening, we gotta adjust something?  Rockbox did something
similar last year, after being in freeze for awhile for was it 2.0 or 3.0.
They finally decided it simply wasn't going to happen right away and the
freeze was doing more harm than good, so lifted it.  If we haven't reached
the stability and step of a 1.0, then maybe that .200 or .500 or whatever
is what we gotta look at, and at least have /that/ level of stable out, if
1.0 just isn't happening.  Otherwise, maybe we just gotta pick a week and
just bump the last beta to 1.0 with no further changes.  IMO it has been
at least as stable as old-stable was, since the big changes of 0.114
and 0.115, and ending with 0.116 or so.

What do you think?  Are we getting to that or are there still a couple cr
it

... OK, "critical bugs", I left that wrap just as pan did it, cr <wrap> it,
I did NOT space there so why did it wrap in the middle of a word?

Maybe that answers my question!