pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Problems building pan from CVS on Mac OS X

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: [Pan-devel] Problems building pan from CVS on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:39:38 -0400

Hello all,

I'm trying to build the latest pan from CVS on Mac OS X.  Although I'm
building it myself, I'm using fink to provide all of the required
packages (e.g. gnome-common).  When I try to run ./autogen.sh, I get
this:

  checking for automake >= 1.4...
    testing automake-1.4... not found.
  ***Error***: You must have automake >= 1.4 installed
    to build Pan.  Download the appropriate package for
    from your distribution or get the source tarball at
      http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/automake/automake-1.4.tar.gz

I didn't have any automake installed, so I installed automake1.4 from
fink.  I also tried 1.5 and 1.9, but autogen didn't seem to recognize
any of them.  (I did start new terminal sessions to make sure that
everything was set up right.)

Does anyone have any ideas as to why autogen doesn't recognize a fink-
installed automake?

There is another problem later on in the build process, but I suppose
it's possible that fixing the automake problem will fix this one as
well.

  ./autogen.sh: line 1: --print-ac-dir: command not found
  Checking for required M4 macros...
    glib-gettext.m4 not found
    intltool.m4 not found
    pkg.m4 not found
  Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
  ***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build Pan
    were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
    macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
    ACLOCAL_PATH?

I have intltool installed, and the file /sw/share/aclocal/intltool.m4
exists; I set ACLOCAL_PATH to "/sw/share/aclocal", but I still got
this error.  Will this problem probably be fixed when I fix the other
one?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

--
Benjamin D. Esham