oroborus-user

Re: [Oroborus-user] Oroborus/deskmenu under BSD

From: Stefan Pfetzing
Subject: Re: [Oroborus-user] Oroborus/deskmenu under BSD
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:56:38 +0200

Hi Maxime,

Am 20.08.2004 um 00:36 schrieb Maxime Guillaud:
I recently installed Oroborus (+deskmenu) on an OpenBSD machine. I would like to give you some feedback in order to make it easier...

Ah, nice ;)

I downloaded version 2.0.13-1 and tried to install it. Unfortunately, it seems that the "configure" file is not included, and I'm not proficient enough in autoconf to generate it myself.

With recent autoconf and automake you can simply execute "autoreconf" which will generate everything needed.

Fortunately, version 2.0.12 works good enough for me so I installed this one. This is my second remark : could you make older versions of the source available on the Oroborus website ? Many people rely on older version for various reasons (because something changed and they don't like it, because they don't want to deal with the new dependencies, because they install from ports under xBSD and the port has not been updated yet... actually that's where I found version 2.0.12 : the FreeBSD port !)

Well I'll change that, the next release will include a configure again, and xmalloc will not be longer used.

For older versions, well I guess you're right with that, so I'll fix that soon too and put up a directory with all sources I have access to, maybe there are still some tar's lost... I dunno.

Ok, so now everything is fine with Oroborus. I went on and installed deskmenu, which also had some compilation problems : it seems that the error() function is not available under BSD (maybe it's a Linux thing ?). So I slightly patched the file xmalloc.c in order to reimplement error().
I attach the patch.

Yup, this one will go away (xmalloc.c) in the next release, since it gave more problems, than it helped.

Now I'm perfectly happy with Oroborus+Deskmenu+fspanel. For those who don't know fspanel, I think that it's the perfect complement to Oroborus, so check it out : http://www.chatjunkies.org/fspanel/

Hehe, well about 2 years ago or such I used fspanel too. There is also a "bigger" version of it, written in gtk and named fbpanel.

bye

Stefan

--
        http://www.dreamind.de/
Oroborus and Debian GNU/Linux Developer.