[Openvortex-dev] 3D news.

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] 3D news.
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:10:09 -0400

Hi,

I got the crosstalk canceler to work. It sounds a bit distorted, but the
different crosstalk canceler schemes i have tested so far, are giving
correct result (Pipe (headphone) and Diamond profiles).

(...10 minutes lates)

The A3D HRTF, ITD and ILD block is working too !!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!
I can't believe it. Finally its working !!!! :D :D :D :D

I tried different HRTF sets and the result sounds much like i expected
it to sound. Since the HRTF parameters are nothing less or nothing more
tham the Finite Impulse response of the tranfer function (56 long), its
easy to figure out how it should sound like.

YEESSSS!

If anyone wants to play with it, i uploaded the code into:

http://galadriel.mat.utfsm.cl/~mjander/aureal/alsa/

To play with different FIR settings, look in au88x0_a3d.c and search
for: "SET HRTF HERE" :D

I noticed that the EQ for some reason is diminishing the stereo channel
separation (channels get somewhat mixed). I dont know if i introduced
that in this driver version or not, since i changed many things. I mean
this driver has many changes compared to the current official ALSA
driver.

This wont let you play Unreal Tournament with 3D sound. We still need to
attach this somehow into OpenAL or something like that. I'm already
talking to the OpenAL guys...

Best Regards

... and enjoy.

Note: I only tested one (the first) a3d source. There other 16 in theory
should work, but i have not tested them yet.

Enough for today, i'll go to sleep now, after spreading the news... :D