[Openvortex-dev] au8830+via & alsa 0.9.7c

From: Wilfried Weissmann
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] au8830+via & alsa 0.9.7c
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:37:41 +0200

hi,

last weekend i grabbed my old aureal vortex 2 card and replaced my current (lowcost) card with it. and after installing the brand new alsa-0.9.7c i got a fully functional soundcard with full duplex and hardware mixing. whoooho! i was in heaven... for about 30 seconds. then my via kt133 chipset got me an instant ticket to the ground level. "welcome aboard ladies and gentlemen to flight kt133. our current crusing altitute is 0 feet above ground level." :/ but the goods news is that only the playback stopped. no kernel crash, no freezes, only inconveniet "Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail" in my /var/log/messages. but as an old internet surfer i knew that the truth is somewhere out there. at google! so i looked up the pci register fix put the line "install snd-au8830 /sbin/setpci -d '12eb:*' 40.B=ff ; insmod snd-au8830" in my modules.conf and everything worked fine. at the openvortex list i read that there is also another fix that tunes the via agp-bridge. i have not tried this one yet, but i guess that would work too (although in the example from the mail they set a register in the au88x0 instead of the bus-bridge). but i thought that the fix was already in the driver. afterwards i had a look at the sources and could not find code that would do this. is there another workaround in the driver (apart from the loop with a counter around the vortex_fifo_setadbctrl() that stopps the kernel from freezing) or is it just not in there?

there is also somewhere a bug in recording (unless this is caused by still running on the 0.9.6 libs. i will upgrade that soon.). i discovered it when i used speakfreely with alsa support. in one second intervals there was some loud noise that sounded like garbage data. when i compiled speakfreely with oss support and linear audio then the distortion was gone. with "arecord -f MU_LAW -r 16000 -t au x.au" i can reproduce something similar. this time there is 1 second of normal audio. for few milliseconds there appears some short sample from the previous second again. then 1 second of normal playback and a sample from that is also played again.... it feels like that the buffer does not have the right size. if you choose higher sampling rates, 16-bit samples and stereo then the samples that are played twice are getting shorter and finally the problem disappears. any ideas?

i am using kernel 2.4.22 tainted by NVidia.o(tm) on a athlon k7 800MHz box with a via kt133 chipset. the distribution is debian-sarge (testing). no alsa plugins are used.

bye,
wilfried