Re: [Openvortex-dev] Call for ALSA patch submit

From: Erik Gustavsson
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Call for ALSA patch submit
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:23:20 +0200

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 02:21, J. Gordon Wolfe wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:46, Manuel Jander wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:30, Erik Gustavsson wrote:
> > > The current CVS version seems to be very stable for me, with kernels
> > > 2.4.21 and 2.6.0-test5-mm4. My only complaint at the moment is that the
> > > SPDIF output isn't affected by any of the mixer controls...
> >
> > That will never change, since it isnt intended for normal audio
> > playback. Use the ADB device instead. You should get SPDIF audio output
> > too. If not, tell me to fix that. That reminds me, a SPDIF output
> > samplerate selector is still missing. I'll add it as soon as i can.
> >
> I think his complaint is that using the ADB device, the sound coming out
> of the SPDIF port is not affected by the equalizer, or by any mixer
> sliders.  Personally, I like it better this way, but I guess we have a
> difference of opinion.

Exactly, and since I don't currently have any volume control on my
external DAC/preamp this is sometimes a problem. I agree that the SPDIF
device should be "straight out" though, but I'd like the ADB device to
use the digital output as a copy of the analog output as much as
possible.

> > What do you mean with no very stable ? Are you having segfaults, system
> > crashes or something like that ?
> > How could i reproduce such a "not so stable" situation on my computer ?
> Maybe you misread?  It looks to me like he's saying the driver IS
> stable.

Yep, it is very stable for me.

> Anyway, I think its good enough to send.  I'd ideally like SPDIF to work
> a little better (i.e. changing samplerates being useful, and working as
> an AC3 passthru), but I see no reason to hold off because of that.  All
> the base functionality works well.  I can play audio, I can record
> audio.  I don't know of any ugly bugs.  What else do you really need?

Agreed, SPDIF isn't even used by most people probably and practically
everything else seems to work just fine.

/cyr