Re: [Openvortex-dev] ac97 codec read-write cleanup in cvs

From: Eric L Hathaway
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] ac97 codec read-write cleanup in cvs
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:50:33 -0400

O.Sezer wrote:

Hi Manuel and all:

The newest cvs has an adaptation of Ryan's ac97 codec
read-write cleanup. But it doesn't have the hunks for
/sound/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c . Isn't that necessary

  ^^^^^^^
Or  /alsa-kernel/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c  to be more correct.
Seems like the /sound directory on the cvs is not synced
with 0.9.4 (and is not used?).

Yes, I've been meaning to write to the list about this too. In the alsa-driver-0.9.4 tarball, 'sound' is a symlink to 'alsa-kernel'. In the openvortex CVS repository, it's actually a separate directory. This is bad, not only because, as you mentioned, the contents of the 'sound' directory won't be synced correctly, but it also greatly increases the amount of data that must be transferred when doing a checkout from CVS. Actually, in 0.9.4, 'scripts' is also a symlink to 'alsa-kernel/scripts'. Doing a "diff -r" between 0.9.4 and a current CVS checkout shows a few other differences too. The cvs repository actually includes some object files in 'drivers/opl4' and 'support/pnp', which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be in the repository either.

This is actually my first post to openvortex-dev. I have a generic OEM au8820 (not in this computer though, so I can't give you the output of lspci) and I've been using the alsa driver since Manuel started posting patches. The driver is now completely usable for my day-to-day needs. I have not noticed any of the problems with playback speed, etc. that some of the au8830 and au8810 owners have reported. The only thing that doesn't seem to work right is aplay, the ALSA sound player. It works alright for CD-quality wav files, but if I try to use aplay to play the 8-bit, 8 kHz, mono file 'sample.au' (the one used by RedHat's sndconfig program that says, "Hello, this is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux as 'Linux'"), the sound is broken and jumbled. Both esdplay and the standard play command play the file properly. I don't know if this is a driver problem, or if it is a limitation of aplay itself.

Anyway, thanks so much to all those who have been putting their time and effort into supporting these cards.

-Eric Hathaway