[Openvortex-dev] patch for ac97 fixes/additions

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] patch for ac97 fixes/additions
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:14:06 -0500

Hi,

The attached patches fix some problems and add some features to the
vortex driver.  They are against an ALSA 0.94 tree that was patched with
the patch that made its way onto the mailing list earlier.

1st, the vortex_read was not working because it didn't wait for the PCI
write to be flushed first.  So it would return a value that was
prefetched.  This screwed up the ALSA ac97 init functions because they
write a value to test and read it back, and when they read back the
wrong value, they would disable some features in the stac codec, such as
3d stereo enhancement, etc.  All of those features are now enabled and
should be tested.

BTW, ReadCodec in the old binary driver never worked correctly either on
my card.  (It was never used in the driver, but I tried to rely on it
for debugging the OSS driver and ended up wasting many hours with it)

Also, the hack in au88x0_mixer.c for enabling the output amp and
changing the attentuation should not be necessary as these are now
toggleable features as long as the user's particular codec supports
them.  (I think!)  So they were removed.  If the user's particular card
needs them, they can set them on.

2.
In the ALSA ac97 driver, I added support for the stereo -> 4 speakers
output.  The rear speakers always run at 100% master volume when this is
enabled, so the only way their volume will match the front is if the
front is also at 100%.  Anyone know a way around that?

I also added a button for the phase inversion, which was previously set
in the alsa_patches.c, but now the user can toggle it (they could in the
windows driver, so....)

Else:

Does the AU8820 use a STAC9704 ?  (someone with an au8820 tell us)
I found some more interesting constants in the dissassembled driver
code.

Let me know if this is ok, and .....

Somebody fix the stereo swapping already!!  PLEASE!!  :D

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253