Re: [Openvortex-dev] Distorted sound with alsa drivers

From: Jeff Muizelaar
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Distorted sound with alsa drivers
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:58:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 13 May 2003, Marc Heerdink wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to this list, but I've read through the archives and I thought I
> should bring this up.. I'm in the process of setting up a new Linux
> installation on my system (Gentoo) and I thought I might give the new
> alsa drivers a try. The binary aureal drivers have always been working
> fine for me, but they need to be replaced by something newer and better
> imo :)
>
> Anyway, I installed the latest cvs drivers and loaded the modules. Then
> I tried to play some sound. No matter what kind of sound file (mp3, wav)
> or sound system (oss (emulated), alsa) I try, I always get distorted
> sound. The sound is a lot softer than with the binary drivers and many
> high and low frequencies are missing. It's kind of hard to describe, if
> you want me to record it I'll give it a try..

Your mixer settings are sane right? Do things play at the proper speed?
Other than that I don't have any ideas as to what might be causing it.
Does anything other than this type of stuff show up in the logs?

vortex: start 0
vortex: stop 0
vortex: start 0
vortex: stop 0
vortex: de alloc 0
Vortex: periods 16, period_bytes 4096, channels = 1
vortex: alloc 0
Vortex: periods 16, period_bytes 4096, channels = 1
vortex: de alloc 0
vortex: alloc 0
Vortex: periods 16, period_bytes 4096, channels = 2
vortex: de alloc 0
vortex: alloc 0
Vortex: periods 16, period_bytes 4096, channels = 2
vortex: de alloc 0
vortex: alloc 0
vortex: start 0

> I have a Diamond Monster Sound II with an Aureal Vortex2/au8830 chip. If
> you need other info, I'll be glad to provide it.

how about a lspci -vvnd 12eb:0002 just for reference.

-Jeff