[Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 2.3 is available

From: Francois Chardavoine
Subject: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 2.3 is available
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:38:10 -0700

Just in time for Siggraph, we're excited to announce that OpenEXR 2.3 has been released and is available for download.

This release contains over 280 commits (including close to 50 merged PRs), the largest in many years, as we've tried to address as many issues as possible that had been lingering for a while. We've performed internal testing at several companies, but we understand that large releases like this are seldom bug-free, and welcome any feedback if you encounter any issues.

We especially want to call out and recognize our friends who made this release possible and provided the lion's share of the effort, especially Kimball Thurston and Peter Hillman at Weta Digital, Nick Porcino, and those at Lucasfilm/ILM who helped shepherd this along.

Release notes are here, with a few highlights listed below:
https://github.com/openexr/openexr/blob/develop/CHANGES.md

Features/Improvements:
  • ThreadPool overhead improvements, enable custom thread pool to be registered via ThreadPoolProvider class
  • Fixes to enable custom namespaces for Iex, Imf
  • Improve read performance for deep/zipped data, and SIMD-accelerated uncompress support
  • Added rawPixelDataToBuffer() function for access to compressed scanlines
  • Iex::BaseExc no longer derived from std::string.
  • Imath throw() specifiers removed
  • Initial Support for Python 3

Bugs:
  • 25+ various bug fixes (see detailed Release Notes for the full list)

Build Fixes:
  • Various fixes to the cmake and autoconf build infrastructures
  • Various changes to support compiling for C++11 / C++14 / C++17 as well as GCC 6.3.1
  • Various fixes to address Windows build issues
  • 60+ total build-related fixes (see detailed Release Notes for the full list)

The website is still being updated, but if you want to download pre-packaged tarballs you can find them here:

PyIlmBase 2.3.0 source code release: https://github.com/openexr/openexr/releases/download/v2.3.0/pyilmbase-2.3.0.tar.gz

OpenEXR 2.3.0 source code release: https://github.com/openexr/openexr/releases/download/v2.3.0/openexr-2.3.0.tar.gz

OpenEXR_Viewers 2.3.0 source code release: https://github.com/openexr/openexr/releases/download/v2.3.0/openexr_viewers-2.3.0.tar.gz

For those of you attending Siggraph, we're also hosting an OpenEXR BOF on Tuesday and look forward to discussing new topics in person!

Francois.