Re: [Openexr-devel] Slow deep exr

From: Peter Hillman
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Slow deep exr
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:27:17 +1200

Hi Gonzalo,

I haven't been able to check the file but I assume it contains one deep part and one regular image part for the beauty. EXRs are slow if the data for parts is interleaved - when the file was written, Arnold possibly alternated between writing scanlines of deep and scanlines of regular image; reading back the beauty picture might require a skip every scanline, which can be quite time consuming.

Try running "exrstdattr input.exr output.exr" (no extra arguments required) and see if output.exr is faster: when exrstdattr copies the input EXR to the output it stores the data for each part in order, so all the data for part 0, then part 1, etc. The order of the parts will probably not be significant for read performance, as long as the are not interleaved together; storing the entire deep first then the beauty image shouldn't be slower to read than storing the image first then the deep. The order of the parts in the header doesn't need to match the order that their data appears, so you can store a file with a regular scanline EXR as part 0, and a deepscanline as part 1, but actually write the deep image first, then the regular scanline at the end of the render.

I suspect writing as tiled won't make any difference.

Peter