[Openexr-devel] deep file depth compression

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: [Openexr-devel] deep file depth compression
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:15:13 -0800

This isn't a question about the OpenEXR file format or library per se, but
since it's the main way everybody is storing deep images...

If you're generating deep images out of a render, and you're starting with
large numbers of samples per pixel, a "raw" deep image can be unnecessarily
huge. I'm assuming that it's common practice to "compress" them somehow by
decimating/combining the samples in each pixel. I've tried combining samples
that were closer than a certain threshold in depth, as well as dropping samples
that are below some opacity threshold (combining their slight opacity with the
next one, say). But I'm still not fully satisfied with this, haven't hit on
threshold values that give an accuracy vs file size tradeoff that I'm aiming
for.

Is anybody inclined to comment on what sample decimation strategies they have
found to work well?

--
Larry Gritz
address@hidden