Re: [Openexr-devel] Deep object ID and lack of Z

From: Richard Hadsell
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Deep object ID and lack of Z
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:36:50 -0500

On 11/12/2014 04:14 PM, Larry Gritz wrote:
The OpenEXR tech documents make it fairly clear that deep OpenEXR files must contain a
"Z" channel in the base layer.

Some people have talked about OpenEXR deep files as a container for object IDs (stored as
int32) that allows for a differing number of object ID values per pixel. Ideally, there
would be only one channel, "id", of type int32. There is no need for (or
meaning of) depth for this use case, but technically this would not be a valid OpenEXR
file.

Thoughts? Is anybody else in favor of relaxing the hard requirement for Z
channels, at least for the special case of other channels containing only
integer values?

--
Larry Gritz
address@hidden

I agree. Supporting channels with varying numbers of samples per pixel should not be limited to data that depend on depth, even if the feature is named "deep data". I am sure that users will find other uses for the feature, and I am surprised that Z seems to be a requirement.

--

Dick Hadsell                    203-992-6320  Fax: 203-992-6001
Blue Sky Studioshttp://www.blueskystudios.com