[Openexr-devel] Thank you and congratulations, DWA!

From: Gonzalo Garramuno
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Thank you and congratulations, DWA!
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:29:50 -0300

I wanted to congratulate and send a big thank you to DreamWorks Animation for the new DWAA/B compression algorithms. They are fantastic. I have one question about the patent, however. I would like in the future to integrate the compression algorithm with ffmpeg. ffmpeg being a C program only does not include any C++ code. Currently its OpenEXR support has been manually recoded in C (it does not use OpenEXR's limited C API). Coding the DWAA algorithm in ffmpeg would probably infringe on the patent. So that's my question. Would it be possible to extend the patent to cover a possible future ffmpeg (re)implementation?