[Openexr-devel] Patch-compatibilty with versioned namespaces

From: Ollie Harding
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Patch-compatibilty with versioned namespaces
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:10:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I wonder if somebody could clarify some versioning info for me, or point me at
the bits of the docs which I've skimmed over too quickly?

I'm building v2.0.0 using the --enable-namespaceversioning flag for
./configure, which gives me e.g.

    Imath_2_0_0::SingMatrixExc::~SingMatrixExc()

This will of course mean that I cannot drop in a future v2.0.1 library since
the Imath_2_0_0 symbols will no longer exist, although the library will
presumably still share the .so.20 soname. I suspect I'm using the wrong method
of making a unique namespace, as I in fact want a namespace which retains patch
compatibility, e.g. maybe Imath_2_0.

So my questions are:

    * Am I right in saying that, without versioned namespaces, patches are
always binary compatible and minor versions always incompatible?
    * Is there a patch-compatible namespacing method already provided (and if
so, what is it)?
    * What's the soname version number based on?

Many thanks,

Ollie