Re: [Openexr-devel] loosing massive amount of information using openexr

From: Morten Mikkelsen
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] loosing massive amount of information using openexr
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:19:24 -0800

Okay I did some more tests in photoshop cs3 (win7).

I did a clouds (perlin fractalsum noise) in 32 bit mode.
this exported as 16 bit png gives an image with 24789 unique levels.

if instead of exporting as 16 bit png I export as 32 bit openexr,
then import this image back into photoshop I get only 5625 unique levels.
The image upon import is reported to be full float 32 bit but nevertheless only very few unique levels exist.

I've checked and the openexr plugin in photoshop is indeed 6 years old.
I am wondering if older versions had a tendency to drop internally to fp16 even when not requested or something.