[Openexr-devel] Saving EXR file one channel at time

From: Pavel Hradský
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Saving EXR file one channel at time
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:23:19 +0200

 Hi!

I need to save an EXR file with several channels (for example RGBA+Depth+AmbientOcclusion) in a kind of strange way. I'd like to save the RGBA channels first and then, after some time, add a Depth channel and then the other channel (layer, whatever) into the same file. I tried this by first setting the header to have all necessary channel (names) and then filling a framebuffer first with RGBA channels only, writing pixels, then creating another framebuffer with depth channel (and same header), writing pixels and so on. This is obviously not the right approach, since I ended up with a file containing only the last channel :-) (I first tried R, then GBA for example).

The reason for wanting to create the single file in several passes is memory constraints (the images will be rather big, generated in Direct3D and I don't want to hold all of them in memory at once). Is it even possible?

I'm using Imf::OutputFile (scan-lines).

Many thanks! (my first post, hopefully correctly sent)

--
Pavel Hradsky
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Czech Technical University in Prague