Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?

From: Pavel Ledin
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:02:53 +0400

I suggest it too.

In current time it's common limitation of exr format (because it can't
replace tiff format in post production).
So users just need replacement for 8bit TIFF. Because most textures
are still in 8 bit.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 1:11:36 AM, you wrote:

> I know this has been covered a couple time over the years, but from my
> cursory search of the archives, not lately, and not to my full
> satisfaction. :-)

> Is anybody entertaining the idea of adding a uint8 data type to OpenEXR?
>   Sometimes (actually quite frequently) we store things in textures that
> do not need fp16 precision.

> Objections I've seen in previous discussion:

> "It's bad to store luminance" -> We store textures of things like masks
> or linear parameter values that are not luminance and 256 levels are
> more than enough.

"Use TIFF or PNG" ->> But it's so much nicer to have all our textures in

--
Best regards,
 Pavel Ledin aka Puppet                            mailto:address@hidden