RE: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?

From: Alex Forsythe
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] RAW images in OpenEXR?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:15:07 -0700

Chris,
I don't want to get too off the EXR topic here ...
I'll just say, I admit that I have not done any testing using the adobe
approach, but I just strikes me as an issue that opens the door to debate.
Is there a metadata tag that would be appropriate for storage of RGB to XYZ
matrices for additional illuminants in order to avoid the issue?
Alex

Alexander Forsythe
Senior Imaging Engineer
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Address: 1313 Vine Street
              Hollywood, CA 90028
Phone:    310-247-3000 x310
Fax:        310-247-3611

>>> "Chris Cox" <address@hidden> 6/18/2008 12:14 PM >>>
Alex;

In all testing so far, interpolating the matrices has given very, very good
results.
You can ask for more details on the DNG/ACR user forums.

Common light sources don't have that wide a variety of spectra.  Cheap
fluorescent lamps and sodium lamps are the exceptions (and difficult to correct
for anyway).

No, nothing about the file format or the calibrations dictates how subsequent
image processing occurs, nor does anything else about the file format.

DNG is already in widespread use, with very few complaints about the format
(although there have been a few misunderstandings).

Chris