Re: [Openexr-devel] Fwd: Re: [gnu.org #348899] GPL compatibility with CT

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Fwd: Re: [gnu.org #348899] GPL compatibility with CTL licence
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:30:16 -0800

Florian Kainz <address@hidden> writes:

> Cyrille,
>
> did you forward the entire answer you got from the FSF?
> In your mail I did not see any statement to the effect that
> linking your project with CTL is prohibited by the GPL, much
> less an explanation why this would be the case.

According to the FSF representative, the AMPAS jurisdiction clause
violates the licensing terms of the GPLv2 and v3 (or is it vice
versa?), so it's illegal to *distribute* a program that links GPL code
with the AMPAS CTL code.  Linking is fine as long as you don't intend
to distribute it, but there's not much point in choosing GPL unless
you plan to distribute your code, which renders CTL effectively
unusable in GPL programs.  CTL isn't the only free software package to
have this problem -- there are many free software licenses which are
incompatible with the GPL -- but it is unfortunate.

Dunno if you remember, but incompatibility with the GPL was one of the
reasons we declined to use the MPL for OpenEXR.