Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR from shared libs.

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR from shared libs.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:47:56 -0800

Paul Schneider <address@hidden> writes:

> At one point last summer, I was experimenting with making a test
> program that would detect large stack support.  The idea was that the
> "configure" script could run this test program, and then define a
> HAVE_LARGE_STACK symbol that would replace the current OS-specific
> check.  I was surprised to find that on OS X 10.4, I was able to
> write a simple test program that pushed an array onto the stack that
> was the same size as those used by IlmImf.  But, the confidence tests
> still crashed if I disabled the AutoArray for OS X.

Replacing the batch of platform check #ifdef's with a HAVE_LARGE_STACK
symbol or something is a good idea; but auto-detecting the stack size
by executing a program, if it's possible to do that reliably and
portably, won't work for cross-compiles.  OpenEXR's autoconf build
system is already broken for cross-compiles, but it probably shouldn't
be, especially if we want to encourage using OpenEXR in embedded
systems such as digital cameras.