Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:40:29 -0800

Hi Ton,

it is good to hear that OpenEXR works well for you.
I am looking forward to seeing your movie.

Regarding the color management project: We have written
an interpreter for the color transformation language
proposed in the paper you mentioned.  The interpreter
is fully functional.  We intend to release interpreter
as open source once ILM's legal department has determined
that the release will not create intellectual property
problems.  At this point I cannot give you a release date.

Florian

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
Hi Florian & everyone,

Let me first say a big thanks for OpenEXR! It has proven to be very reliable and versatile addition to Blender, and one of the crucial success factors or the movie project I was working on during the past 9 months.

Check out the sneak-peek on http://orange.blender.org

Apart from integrating openexr in our regular image in/out pipeline, it now also is going to be used in the core of the render pipeline, taking care of saving tiles for all render-layers and passes in a single file. This then in the end is handed over the Blender built-in compositor to do the fancy tricks with. Docs about this new pipeline and release is expected early april. It's going to be quite nice, at least for the open source community. :)

Our renderfarm (60+ dual cpu nodes), now is nicely spitting out the exr files. Very shortly we have to convert all of that to the format required by the HD digital projection in the cinema in Amsterdam.

My current information is that we have to convert this to Cineon or DPX, this is moved to a Quantel IQ HD/2K set, which will convert this to HDCam SR tape.

This is actually my first real experience with HD digital cinema... and I wondered if there ever was a follow up on the OpenEXRColorManagement.pdf you published. All our frames are rendered with a 'linear' RGB color space now, which look pretty much OK on our monitors (like the 23" Apple Cinema displays), but that doesn't mean anything eh. :)

I would greatly appreciate some pointers to information or tips for how to achieve the best quality for current 10 bits/component digital HD projection systems. And maybe some hints for how to convert color best to current DVD video formats.

All the best,

-Ton-

(Resent this mail, it was sent february 25th, but nongnu.org bounced it)