Re: [Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?

From: E. Scott Larsen
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:21:42 -0500

The standard Florian quoted says that if the "" method fails, then it will be treated as if it were specified via the <> method. So in theory, switching to "" will do no harm. At the same time, all the compilers I've had experience with (HPUX-CC,IRIX-CC,g++, and MSVC), do _not_ search the current directory for the <> and _do_ search the current directory for "".

This seems to support the same general consensus that Daniel and Dennis mention (and everyone I've talked to): use "" for references inside the current project, and use <> for references outside the current project.

I second the motion for this change. The standard does seem to say clearly that switching to "" will do no harm, only good - and I do agree that it will make life easier for users.

//Scott

Dennis Crowley wrote:
No Daniel, its not just you.  You are probably in the majority,
and I'll probably join you now that I've actually read the various preprocessor docs. :-)

On 2/25/06, *Daniel Léonard* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

     > Regarding convention, (which, of course, can be very subjective) I've
     > always followed the convention that "standard" includes always get <>
     > and user and 3rd party includes always get "". (what counts as
     > "standard" is also subjective)

    I always though that <> was for includes outside your project (that
    would mean standard and 3rd party) while "" was for includes inside
    your project. But that's just me.

    Daniel
    --
    Entre Ce que je pense, Ce que je veux dire, Ce que je crois dire, Ce
    que je dis, Ce que vous avez envie d'entendre, Ce que vous entendez,