[Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?

From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann
Subject: [Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:32:59 +0100 (CET)

This is a request to exchange <> against "" in the public OpenEXR headers.

The header files distributed with OpenEXR include each other with the

  //OpenEXR header file
  #include <name_of_other_exr_header.h>

sheme. Thus the compiler searches in the global include search paths for
the files. With this variant I need to fully specify the path on the
compile line, which is extra work. I come with CinePaint compilation
regularily around this stone, and users as well. But I think the OpenEXR
headers should see each the other in a private sense and not a global
one.

Using "" instead would lead to searching in local paths:

  // OpenEXR header file
  #include "name_of_other_exr_header.h"

Now the compiler finds the other OpenEXR headers from a base include
path. There can reside many subdirectories which will be recognized, like
for OpenEXR, FL (FLTK) or libexif.
Thus one could simply include like follows in an application:

  // my fancy app
  #include <OpenEXR/ImfRgbaFile.h>

+ use one base include path on the compiler line and everything just
works.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management