Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling with gcc4.0.1 - compilation error andfix

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling with gcc4.0.1 - compilation error andfix
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:41:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Kevin Wheatley wrote:

Florian Kainz wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out.  I think this is a bug in
gcc 4.0.1; you should probably report it to the gcc maintainers.

I don't think it is a bug, at least according to the C++ standard. If
no Image is in scope at the point of the friend declaration, it is
going to inject the Image class into the ImageChannel scope. This is
different to the pre-standard ARM, where it would have injected it
into the innermost non class scope (from memory my ARM is at home :-)

I must agree that GCC 4.0.1 is doing the right thing here and the code has a bug.

The error/warning capabilities of GCC 4.X are a clear improvement over its predecessors.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn