Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question

From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:44:24 +0100 (CET)

Am 10.03.05, 00:11 -0800 schrieb Paul Schneider:

> Yes, XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp is an X-Windows API.  There is an equivalent API
> for OS X.  See CGDirectDisplay.h and friends.
>
> However, this routine adjusts the gamma ramp of your video card, which 1)
> affects the entire monitor and 2) only operates on the 8-bit data in the video

For screen colour managament this is quite ok. It leads to more
consistency, what I want to figure out. Beside that, at least
XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp supports as well more than 8 bit as provided by
hardware. Graeme Gill pointed out.

> framebuffer.  You'll lose a lot of precision if you're trying to manipulate
> floating-point data like this.

You mean for manipulation of floating point data an integer ramp is
incompatible. Seems reasonable. Maybe I did not understood what the ramps
was meant to do - display correction or manipulation with later saving to
file.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management