Re: [Openexr-devel] Storing multiple layers in OpenEXR files

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Storing multiple layers in OpenEXR files
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:04:14 -0800

Hi Charles,

Charles Henrich <address@hidden> writes:

> Layer order seems largely irrelevant,
> inter-layer order on the other hand is critical.  (B/G/R versus R/G/B for
> example).

Hmm, I look at this completely the opposite way.

Inter-layer/channel order (BGR, RGB, etc.) is an application-specific
choice: chosen for performance, compatibility with existing types,
etc.  If the application chooses to read channel order differently
than what's specified in the file, there's no correctness issue.

Layer order is (possibly, but not always) chosen by the author of the
image to indicate relative depth of each layer, i.e. the correct order
for compositing.

I'm curious, why do you say the opposite?

thanks