[Openexr-devel] newbie questions: alpha-only files and linear conversion

From: Paul Miller
Subject: [Openexr-devel] newbie questions: alpha-only files and linear conversion on save
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:33:27 -0600

Hi guys. I'm adding EXR support to our up-coming cross-platform rotoscoping system (Silhouette Roto).

I have two questions:

1) what is the proper way to set up the header for an "alpha-only" image?

2) when saving generic linear color data (ie. 0-255), is it sufficient to just normalize to 0-1 and stuff the components into the output half types? This seems to work ok when reading the image back in, as long as I adjust the gamma to 1.0. If I should apply the output gamma correction, can someone post a code snippet?

Thanks!