Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] f-stops and steps. How are they related?
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:54:12 +0000

Not wanting to confuse further but...

in a normalised floating point number (most of the OpenEXR values)
your actually getting an additional bit of precision giving you 11
bits as the representation assumes a leading "1.XXXXXXXXXX". This is
an advantage of IEEE style representation and can give EXR style
representations very slight visual advantages over more simple 16 bit
non-linear encoded integers

This is not quite the same thing as saying that the number of values
for a given exponent (stop) is 2^10 but it does mean that 1 + 5 + 10 =
17 bits. denormalised numbers don't have this feature.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |